What to Ask During a University Tour
During a university tour, you can expect that you will be led by a knowledgeable college representative. It is likely that this person will be a student trained by the admissions office to answer questions and offer information. This is a great opportunity for you to find out the student perspective on the school.
Below, we list some questions that might not be addressed during the university tour and that you might want to ask your guide, either along the way or once you have come to your final destination. Take a look, and then explore other college visit tools and resources.
University Tour Questions: Academics
- What is your major?
- How big are your classes?
- How hard is it to get into the courses you want to take?
- How many hours a week do you spend on schoolwork (in and out of class)?
- What are some of the more popular majors? What are the less popular ones?
- How much interaction do you have with your professors outside of class?
- What percentage of your classes is led by professors versus teaching assistants?
- What is your relationship like with your faculty advisor?
- What resources are provided by the career services office?
- Have you participated in work-study programs, internships, or other career-related activities?
- Do many students participate in study abroad programs?
University Tour Questions: Life on Campus
- What activities and resources do you recommend to students to help them in their freshman year?
- What are the most popular student activities?
- What types of activities do you participate in?
- How big a role does Greek life play in life on campus?
- What else do students do for fun?
- What do students do on weekends? Do most students stay on campus?
- What opportunities do off-campus activities afford to students?
- How would you describe the typical student?
- Are the residence halls good for studying? Are they good for socializing?
- Where do most students study?
University Tour Questions: Campus Security and Transportation
- Do you feel safe on campus during the day? At night? What about around campus?
- What security measures are in place in the residence halls?
- Does the campus offer an escort system or a campus shuttle service? Have you used it before?
- Are there supermarkets and other stores that sell necessities within walking distance?
- Are students allowed to bring a car to school?
- What is parking on campus like?
University Tour Questions: Housing and Dining
- What is campus housing like?
- What do you think of the housing you have lived in?
- Do students get a say about which residence hall they will live in?
- Are students required to live on campus as freshmen?
- Do most students stay on campus all four years?
- What options are available for off-campus housing?
- Is it necessary to have a meal plan?
- How often do you use your meal plan, and has it changed since you were a freshman?
- What do you think about the food?
And A Few More Questions To Ask on Your University Tour…
- What do you like best about this school?
- What do you like least?
- Where else did you apply?
- What do you think is the most unique thing this school offers?